As a business owner, have you wondered what more you can do to promote a welcoming environment and perhaps boost your sales? The truth is, there's not a "magic potion" but there are certain smells that can promote a more fruitful and peaceful environment. The more welcoming your business, the more comfortable your customers will be making purchases.
Your main goal should be giving your customers a retreat where they can disconnect from their everyday lives and focus on what brings them joy. Exposing them to particular scents is a great way to do that!
Not to mention, studies have shown that distinct scents can make your business memorable. One study reveals people were able to remember specific smells 65% of the time while only being able to recall visual cues 50% of the time. This means it's time to tap into the power of scent.
So, which scents are best?
First, we need to discuss synthetic fragrances versus pure essential oils. Synthetic fragrances are with chemicals instead of from natural compounds. These can be dangerous. The last thing you want is for a customer to come in contact with what you're diffusing and having an allergic reaction. Your customer will remember the experience, but not for a reason you want.
Essential oils, however, are natural compounds that come from roots, stems, flowers, barks, and seeds. They don't include toxins or synthetic additives. If you want to tap into your customers' noses, you need to use essential oils.
Which essential oils are most likely to bring more business?
This is very subjective. What mood are you wanting to create? You should aim for something uplifting and relaxing that have calming properties. You don't want anything too sedating or it could cause listlessness in your customer and not want to actually buy.
By creating a calming and uplifing space, your customers can feel comfortable browsing and making purchases.
Essential oils for that perfect atmosphere:
- Anything citrus: Orange, Lemon, Grapefruit, Mandarin, Bergamot, or Young Living's Citrus Fresh
- Spearmint, Peppermint, Cardamom, Rosemary - these create a fresh, clean scent that create alertness
- Cinnamon (which needs to be used in moderation) combined with Orange create a warm environment
- Clary Sage and Yling Ylang can eliminate the feelings of jealousy and envy. These can increase your mood and your customers' moods creating a more positive space
- Spruce can create a more grounded environment, especially during the colder months.
- Young Living's Peace and Calming blend creates a soothing and relaxing atmosphere
Not to mention the added benefit of the antiseptic properties of essential oils. By diffusing oils (like Thieves), you'll actually help keep your employess and customers healthier.
How to begin using essential oils
The best method is diffusing a couple drops of your oil(s) with a purified water. Keep your diffuser running for a few hours each day and clean as necessary. Replace the mix daily.